Adding a Recipe
First things first, go to Recipes > Add New to bring up the "Add New Recipe" page.
Ingredients & Directions
Simple Entry Mode
- Ingredients — Basically each ingredient needs its own line. Each line you enter will get a checkbox. If you need section titles with your ingredients, simply add a double dash (--) to the front of the title and it will become a section title instead of an ingredient. Be sure not to leave any blank lines! There's a helper button below this field if you need a visual way to see this.
- Directions — Similar to ingredients, every time you hit Enter/Return, it will be a new direction. You can add section titles with a double dash (--) before the title. There's a helper button below this field if you need a visual way to see this. You can also add Timer Shortcodes to this section, allowing your visitors to click on a timer link to start a new timer. Just wrap some text in the timer shortcode like this:
[timer length=20]20 Minutes[/timer]
Detailed Entry Mode (new in version 2.0)
- Ingredients — In detail entry mode, you can add each ingredient at a time using the drag and drop builder. Section Titles can also be added. Each ingredient needs the following:
- Amount - This is a number and/or fraction. You can add fractions by using simple slashes. For example: "2 1/2" would be equal to "2.5" or "Two and a half".
- Measurement - This is a dropdown full of different types of measurements. If you don't see one listed that you need, you can go to "Recipes > Settings" and turn on the Measurements taxonomy editor from the "Recipes" tab to add/delete the defaults. Just keep in mind that if you delete a default measurement that is being used by a recipe, that recipe will not display the measurement anymore. It's best to leave the defaults alone, and just add new ones as needed.
- Ingredient - This is simply the name of the ingredient. As you add new ones, they will be saved to your Ingredients post type. When you start typing into this field, it will search for already used Ingredients to make recipe entry faster.
- Directions — In detail entry mode, you will be adding each direction one at a time. You can add an image per direction if needed. You can also add Timer Shortcodes to this section, allowing your visitors to click on a timer link to start a new timer. Just wrap some text in the timer shortcode like this:
[timer length=20]20 Minutes[/timer]
- Featured Image — Each recipe can have an image attached to it. This is done by uploading and image to the "Featured Image" panel to the right of the editor (if you don't see this panel, activate it from the "Screen Options" tab at the top). It is suggested you use an image that is at least 2000px wide by 1000px tall in order for it to look great in all templates and devices. Anything smaller might look blurry in some of the templates (full width, full-screen mode, etc.)
- Recipe Video — Each recipe can optionally have a video attached. If you have your recipe video on Youtube, Vimeo, or any of the other supported oEmbed sites, then you'll want to use this field. Just paste in the URL (ex. http://youtu.be/1O8D_wTCm3s or https://vimeo.com/26140401) and it will show up as a popup by clicking the recipe image.
- Short Description — Entice your visitors to click on the recipe with a quick short description. Keep it short and sweet because it will show up in several locations (on the list-view page and on the recipe post itself). Anything that fits in the box provided should look great.
- Excerpt — If you want to change the excerpt that shows up on the list views (by default it will show the Short Description), you can enter an optional excerpt here.
- Difficulty — You can set the recipe difficulty here.
- Prep & Cook Time — Each recipe can have a prep and cook time chosen. Just use the sliders to set the time, the format is HH:MM.
- Additional Notes — If your recipe requires additional notes (credits, etc.), you can enter those here.
- Guest/Admin Rating — Depending on the way you have the Settings set up, you can either VIEW the guest rating or SET the Admin rating here.
- Yields — How much does this recipe make? 2 Servings? 3 Cups? Just enter that here.
- Nutrition Facts — You can add all of the optional nutrition facts here.
Category, Cuisine, and Cooking Method
On the right side of the Add New Recipe page, you will see three boxes to apply this recipe to a category, cuisine and/or cooking method. You can make these all up as you go, and once you have a bunch of recipes entered, your users will love the search capabilities on the front-end. They will be able to search by all of these items!